We bought it off Craigslist from two women in Shoreline in the fall of 2005. Assembly took some doing and it stood in Harry’s room through that winter, like us waiting, anticipating, expecting. The following March, it stood in the center of the room, filled with stuff and draped with a plastic sheet as we painted the room a beautiful sea foam green. At the end of the next month, the anticipation ended and Harry entered the world. He slept in a bassinet for six weeks before taking up residence in the crib. As he grew and developed, the level of the mattress dropped to the middle and then the lowest level. We moved in March of 2007, disassembling the crib and reassembling it in Harry’s new room in our condo. It was our first full day there, and I remember a red-faced, straining distressed Harry observing us from his high chair assembling the crib as he struggled to…um…”process” his first attempt at eating raisins.
The following spring, the crib went empty. Annie was on the way, and we transitioned Harry to a twin bed to make way for her. She arrived in August 2008 and the cycle began anew.
Well, a week or so ago, we saw that Annie could get her leg up on the rail and we bought a toddler bed off of Craigslist and a mattress from a consignment store. We put it together on Thursday night with lots of “help” from the kids. Last night, we engaged in a round of baby-proofing and Annie spent the night in her toddler bed. It went fine, although nap time today is proving more problematic.
There won’t be a new occupant for this crib. We haven’t ruled out a third, but if we do have one, it will be in a different crib. It’s a drop-side crib, the kind that’s about to be banned, but even without the new safety concerns, this particular crib has taken too much abuse from two active kids, plus however many it nurtured with its previous owners.
It’s done its job. It’s mission has been accomplished.
- Anyone affiliated with WordPress as a company... August 9, 2017 Jon-Paul
- Is your family disaster ready? May 25, 2017 writewizard
- A Number Play : 3 November 11, 2016 Annapurani Vaidyanathan
- WPC: The Number Game November 9, 2016 Dahlia
- Whew! I found this to be an Interesting Thought... November 4, 2016 Jon-Paul
- éclat October 25, 2016 onthevirg
- Has Anyone even taken into Consideration..? October 25, 2016 Jon-Paul
- #203 - Fern in a gully July 30, 2016 David Ferrie
- Please everyone who reads this post, please fire a letter, email, or fax to Roger Goodell July 20, 2016 Jon-Paul
- One Sermon July 17, 2016 nysabucco
- RT @tjragas: #ImpeachTrump because the children of this generation don't deserve to grow up feeling like all of this is normal. 6 days ago
- RT @TheRealStanLee: As true today as it was in 1968. Pax et Justitia - Stan https://t.co/VbBtiZzUch 6 days ago
- The Message in the Ads bluedrew.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/the… 6 months ago
- Why I Went to the Demonstration. bluedrew.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/why… https://t.co/ttl4Xb8Rkb 6 months ago
- Heading to #Westlake! #NoBanNoWall 6 months ago
“Great” Thoughts of the Past
"Great" Thoughts by Andrew Viertel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://bluedrew.wordpress.com/andrews-biography-short-version/.