We bought it off Craigslist from two women in Shoreline in the fall of 2005. Assembly took some doing and it stood in Harry’s room through that winter, like us waiting, anticipating, expecting. The following March, it stood in the center of the room, filled with stuff and draped with a plastic sheet as we painted the room a beautiful sea foam green. At the end of the next month, the anticipation ended and Harry entered the world. He slept in a bassinet for six weeks before taking up residence in the crib. As he grew and developed, the level of the mattress dropped to the middle and then the lowest level. We moved in March of 2007, disassembling the crib and reassembling it in Harry’s new room in our condo. It was our first full day there, and I remember a red-faced, straining distressed Harry observing us from his high chair assembling the crib as he struggled to…um…”process” his first attempt at eating raisins.
The following spring, the crib went empty. Annie was on the way, and we transitioned Harry to a twin bed to make way for her. She arrived in August 2008 and the cycle began anew.
Well, a week or so ago, we saw that Annie could get her leg up on the rail and we bought a toddler bed off of Craigslist and a mattress from a consignment store. We put it together on Thursday night with lots of “help” from the kids. Last night, we engaged in a round of baby-proofing and Annie spent the night in her toddler bed. It went fine, although nap time today is proving more problematic.
There won’t be a new occupant for this crib. We haven’t ruled out a third, but if we do have one, it will be in a different crib. It’s a drop-side crib, the kind that’s about to be banned, but even without the new safety concerns, this particular crib has taken too much abuse from two active kids, plus however many it nurtured with its previous owners.
It’s done its job. It’s mission has been accomplished.
- Just a bit TIRED of "the Good Guy"? March 14, 2018 Jon-Paul
- Is it possible to work together? August 24, 2017 Jon-Paul
- Anyone affiliated with WordPress as a company... August 9, 2017 Jon-Paul
- Is your family disaster ready? May 25, 2017 writewizard2
- A Number Play : 3 November 11, 2016 Annapurani Vaidyanathan
- WPC: The Number Game November 9, 2016 Dahlia
- Whew! I found this to be an Interesting Thought... November 4, 2016 Jon-Paul
- éclat October 25, 2016 onthevirg
- Has Anyone even taken into Consideration..? October 25, 2016 Jon-Paul
- #203 - Fern in a gully July 30, 2016 David Ferrie
- RT @neiltyson: If Bears were in charge, after they hunted us to near-extinction, I wonder if they’d invent a candy called Gummy Humans. 2 months ago
- RT @BernieSanders: There have been more mass shootings than days this year. It is long, long overdue for Congress to take action on gun saf… 5 months ago
- RT @JohnFugelsang: People calling for #GunControlNow aren't "exploiting a tragedy;" they're trying to prevent the next one. 5 months ago
- RT @WAStateLib: Air Quality a la J.R.R.Tolkien. Stay indoors and mind your lungs everyone. twitter.com/NWSSpokane/sta… 6 months ago
- RT @tjragas: #ImpeachTrump because the children of this generation don't deserve to grow up feeling like all of this is normal. 7 months ago
“Great” Thoughts of the Past
"Great" Thoughts by Andrew Viertel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://bluedrew.wordpress.com/andrews-biography-short-version/.